Jaycelyn had the best time! Besides ruining her outfit and eating way more strawberries then she needed, she still did a good job for her first time.
She carried her bucket around and picked everything she saw. Even the green ones! haha
We finally got her to follow us and pick the ones we told her to pick.
Noah tried to pick a couple himself.
We picked 7 gallons of strawberries and made jam on Wednesday. We used about 5 gallons and made 45 jars of jam. We made one batch at a time and got 9 jars out of each batch. First we washed...
Then, we cut the stems out, sliced, and mashed...
Next, we measured 5 cups of strawberries and put them in a saucepan. We mixed one box of Sure-Jell with them and brought it to a rolling boil, added the sugar, brought it to a rolling boil again and then stirred constantly for 1 minute.
After it was done cooking, we filled the jars up, tightened the lids, and put them in 1-2 inches of boiling water. We did this to seal them instead of using a pressure cooker. They lightly boiled for about 10 minutes. After they boiled, we put them back in the box and put them in a dark area and covered them with a towel for 24 hours so they could seal.
After checking all of our jars, they all successfully sealed liked they were supposed to. I still have to get fabric to cover them (because I want to) and taste it!!